Reorder your Boot Menu with KGRUBEditor

Maybe you've just installed a dual boot system. It's all going well and good, but when you start the computer, Windows appears at the bottom of the boot menu.

You might still want to use Windows as your primary operating system, and so pressing down a few times and Enter each boot time could get frustrating. You'd ideally like Windows at the top of the boot menu, and Linux second.

In this quick tutorial, I'm going to show you how to use KGRUBEditor, a program for editing your boot menu settings, to re-order the menu so that Windows is first, and the default choice.

(If you'd rather quickly edit the configuration file by hand, without installing new software, take a look at this alternative tutorial).

First of all, we need to install KGRUBEditor. You'll probably find it in your package manager if you search for kgrubeditor (help on installing packages).

Once it's installed, launch it, from the System category.

Kdesudo dialogue

You will be asked to give your (or root's) password to continue. A word of warning - through KGRUBEditor, you are editing important settings that tell your computer how to start up properly. Avoid changing settings you don't fully understand!

Once you're in, you'll see something a bit like this (your entries might look slightly different).

KGRUBEditor Interface

Each row in the top pane should correspond to one of the choices you see when the computer starts up.

Click on the Windows row, so that it is selected. Now go to the menu and choose Actions > Move to Top.

KGRUBEditor Actions menu

Once the Windows entry is at the top, you need to also set it as the 'default' entry, so it is the first choice to be selected (otherwise it will be at the top, but not selected).

Right-click the entry for Windows, and choose Set as default.

And that should be it. You can now close KGRUBEditor and reboot to find Windows your default choice. To boot Linux, you can just press down once to the first Linux entry and press Enter.

Discussion: Reorder your Boot Menu with KGRUBEditor

1. Andre (guest)

# Posted on 03 August 2008 at 05:45 PM

Peter,

I've never used this KGRUBEditor so I don't really know what are its features. However, it seams to me that it would be much easier just editing the /boot/grub/menu.lst file with an ordinary text editor.

Installing a specific software just to do that seams nonsense.

# Posted on 03 August 2008 at 05:49 PM

I would agree that editing the GRUB config file by hand is a pretty simple process and is probably the quickest way to achieve that result.

It is worth remembering though, that not everyone is as skilled or as confident at editing configuration files as you are!

Having a graphical, friendly solution to solve this problem I think goes a long way towards easing the transition for new switchers and dual boot users.

3. Andre (guest)

# Posted on 04 August 2008 at 11:39 AM

You might be just right. Probably there are a lot of people that would just jump off Linux if they ever hear they need to do something in the command line or using editors.

I am only afraid that this kind of software reinforce the feeling of dependency, the fear of doing things on your own, the fear of trying.

My point is: perhaps you should give a hint at the beginning or at the end of your article about the config file possibility. This way, the ones who are a bit more interested would at least know where to start tinkering.

And I say that because I am not as skilled as you presumed I am.

4. Peter K (guest)

# Posted on 06 August 2008 at 08:43 AM

I was quite encouraged when I came across this information about KGRUBEditor. However, I have not been able to figure out how to install it, so am feeling doubly frustrated. I would be grateful for some sort of idiot's step by step guide to EITHER installing a piece of software like KGRUBEditor or editing the /boot/grub/menu.lst file with an ordinary text editor. If I had known that installing additional software in Ubuntu was going to be so problematic I would not have gone to the bother of installing it alongside Windows. I would be really grateful for any advice that could persuade me not to uninstall it altogether and remain with Windows.

# Posted on 06 August 2008 at 08:48 AM

@Peter K - have you taken a look at <a href="http://fosswire.com/2008/07/15/printable-guide-installing-software-on-ubuntu/" rel="nofollow">this printable guide</a> to installing software on Ubuntu?

6. Peter K (guest)

# Posted on 06 August 2008 at 09:14 AM

Thanks Peter. I have, but it did not help. I have downloaded and unpacked the KGRUBEditor files. They reside on my desktop, but I have been unable to make any connection to them through synaptic. I have tried to follow the directions given in the KGRUBEditor/INSTALL document without success. I must be missing a step somewhere. It says that "this command must be executed in a Terminal, after switching to the directory where you have extracted KGRUBEditor: cd /path/to/KGRUBEditor's/extracted/folder.

I have been unable to put that into effect.

# Posted on 06 August 2008 at 09:34 AM

@Peter K - you don't need to have downloaded the files and extracted them separately.

Add/Remove Applications can do the whole install for you; I'll email you with more details to keep this comment thread clean.

8. # Posted on 09 August 2008 at 02:23 PM

[...] PostsReorder your Boot Menu with KGRUBEditorPeter Upfold shows you a quick and easy graphical way to re-order your GRUB boot menu. No [...]

9. Bas (guest)

# Posted on 12 August 2008 at 06:35 AM

Maybe it will be funnier to do it manually next time (I'm pretty sure it will). But for this time, qgrubeditor is great. This article comes to me right at the good time. And I'll keep my Linux as default boot ! Best regards

10. mike (guest)

# Posted on 23 August 2008 at 07:05 PM

it seems to be a helpfull programm. i wonder can you perform multiboot using this programm instead of chainloading?

Home » Articles » Reorder your Boot Menu with KGRUBEditor