KDE 4 Coverage?

KDE 4 logo

The road to KDE's 4.0 release has been a little rocky. Many complained that the 4.0 release was not really ready for public consumption and it has taken some time for the new version to be smoothed out.

Things are a lot better now, and the new features and underlying technologies really do make KDE a better platform to use.

I'm FOSSwire's resident KDE user. While I also like GNOME as a desktop, I tend to spend most of my GUI Linux time on KDE.

So, my question is this - should I move my KDE platform to 4.0 and start covering 4.x only applications and features from this point forward? Should I stick with 3.x? Or should I stagger the transition?

It's you, the readers of FOSSwire, that make this what it is. So - what do you want to see in FOSSwire's future KDE coverage?

UPDATE: Thanks for all your feedback. The general consensus appears to be to start looking at and reviewing KDE 4 apps and KDE 4 specific features. I will try to make sure that future KDE posts make it clear on which versions the functionality is available.

Discussion: KDE 4 Coverage?

1. Binny V A (guest)

# Posted on 21 July 2008 at 05:39 PM

My advice is wait till Kubuntu adopts KDE4 before covering KDE 4 apps. That is a good indication that KDE 4 is ready for normal use.

2. cae (guest)

# Posted on 21 July 2008 at 11:55 PM

If you are a mormal user, stick to KDE3.

If you are curious user looking for a reference to guage if KDE4 is ready; KDE4 is ready when Debian officially adopts it.

If you are a very curious user, stagger your KDE4 experience.

If you are a reviewer, forget about KDE3, go for KDE4 NOW!!!

:D

3. KarPer (guest)

# Posted on 21 July 2008 at 11:58 PM

I think it will be interesting to focus on KDE4 from now on. There's little in the way of innovation that's happening in KDE3 (now widely referred to as the 'rock solid' version).

KDE4 is where the action is and that's what I would like to hear more about.

KDE3 will no longer be as relevant as it is right now by, say next year when KDE4 will become THE KDE version and catch up to (and surpass) KDE3 in terms of feature parity.

There will still be loyalists who will fight the drastic changes being introduced in the UI, but over time, I'm sure they'll be won over, too - with, amongst others, your help :)

4. andre (guest)

# Posted on 22 July 2008 at 12:54 AM

I think you, as a reviewer, should move on to KDE4. It has been released for months now and, while it hasn't been adopted by any major distro, your articles will be greatly helpful pretty soon. This way, once distros start adopting, users will already know if it is advisable to move and the major benefits they will get doing it.

There are years until Debian releases it under stable distro. It's only experimental on Debian today, not even SID has it.

On the other hand, we would benefit much more if you move to XFCE, which is the real rock solid desktop environment.

5. spike (guest)

# Posted on 22 July 2008 at 02:13 PM

I'm using KDE 4 on OpenSuSE 11 and I like it. It hasn't been a completely smooth transition but I'm interested to find out what it has to offer. My main pc still uses Debian [Lenny]. KDE3 isn't going to be vastly updated or improved now so perhaps it's better to start looking to KDE 4.

6. Andrew Min (guest)

# Posted on 22 July 2008 at 02:59 PM

I say focus on both. Both will be around for quite a while IMHO.

7. Chad Martin (guest)

# Posted on 22 July 2008 at 08:26 PM

I'm typing this using the KDE 4.1 RC1 release and it's great. It is still missing some features that KDE3 has, but I'm hooked on the features that KDE3 doesn't have. Improvements in KWin, Krunner, Kickoff, KWrite, Dolphin, and KDE Games to name a few.

As for apps, why does moving to KDE4 mean covering only 4.x apps? I use a lot of KDE3 apps still (Quanta, Basket, Smb4k, Digikam) and they all work just as well as before.

Chad http://linuxappfinder.com http://feedsanywhere.com

8. Bill Bastick (guest)

# Posted on 23 July 2008 at 07:39 AM

I would like to see KDE 4 coverage. It may be work in progress, but that's what Linux is all about.

9. Joel (guest)

# Posted on 23 July 2008 at 01:48 PM

KDE 4! Some of us are very curious, but also very cowardly when it comes to updating and would like to live vicariously through you :)

Home » Articles » KDE 4 Coverage?