Installing Flash Player in Ubuntu Hardy Heron

Historically, installing Flash Player, and therefore getting access to much of the internet's video content, on Ubuntu and other Linux distributions has been a right pain.

You can download the archive from Adobe and run through the text-based installer, but Ubuntu Hardy Heron actually makes it a whole lot easier than previous releases (if you're using Firefox at least).

Here's how.

Launch Firefox 3 Beta 5, and browse to any site where you know that Flash is used (YouTube is a good one, but you need to be on an actual video page, not just the home page).

Installing missing plugins screenshot

Click the Install Missing Plugins button, and in the next window, select the top option for the Adobe Flash Player installer.

There will be a couple of confirmation dialogues you will need to accept, including enabling the multiverse software repository for non-open source software.

The installer then downloads the package and gets installing. The installation process might appear to sit there for a while doing nothing, but really that is just the Flash Player installer doing its stuff behind the scenes, just not feeding its progress back to you.

Once that is done, however, you click Finish, the page reloads and the Flash Player works!

It really is a great improvement to the old installation method, and makes getting Flash up and running on your new Ubuntu system pretty painless!

Discussion: Installing Flash Player in Ubuntu Hardy Heron

1. Scott (guest)

# Posted on 06 May 2008 at 05:45 PM

Now if they could just fix the problem where Flash grabs user input any time the mouse is hovering over it preventing scrolling, typing, etc. That is seriously annoying and doesn't happen in either of the major proprietary OS implementations. Anyone know what the deal is with that? Is there a fix I just haven't seen yet? I would love you forever if you knew of a fix for this ridiculous issue.

2. deadcats (guest)

# Posted on 06 May 2008 at 08:34 PM

It's even simpler if you install flash using the "Add or Remove Software" function. :)

regards, -dc

3. Peter2 (guest)

# Posted on 07 May 2008 at 06:46 AM

Since when is this so easy on Ubuntu? Last 2 or 3 releases? Welcome back from the cave :)

4. adrdui (guest)

# Posted on 10 May 2008 at 08:25 AM

Be sure to uninstall the swfdec package (open source flash) because it prevents flashplayer from function well.

5. kira (guest)

# Posted on 03 June 2008 at 07:33 PM

well, it installs nicely, that's true. But at least for me it's a choice of either having youtube function (adobe flash plugin) or all other flash sites. Gnash doesn't work with youtube for me. hardy with all latest updates, firefox 3beta

6. Je (guest)

# Posted on 06 July 2008 at 06:34 PM

Well it kinda works. It install fine and all, but it is very choppy and the full screen is unbearable. If anyone else has this problem and knows now to fix it I would be much appreciated.

7. John Ward (guest)

# Posted on 17 August 2008 at 04:21 PM

The reason you can't scroll a page when you hover your mouse over a flash object, like a video for example or it could even be a flash based ad is because it's written into the HTML of the page (the page design language) as an "IFRAME" object, it's basically seen as a window within a window, so basically when you move your mouse into the flash window i.e. the video, your basically scrolling within that page or within the video, but of course the video has no need for scroll as it has nothing above or below what you're seeing in front of you. It seems only to affect Firefox and not IE, probably because IE doesn't follow HTML rules properly. It's main usage for flash in general is to allow you to move your mouse directly into a flash based window and scroll in it immediately without having to click into the flash object first, in a sense to activate it as you would have to do in Windows. Although with YouTube videos it could be removed because it is a massive pain.

8. Phil (guest)

# Posted on 09 October 2008 at 02:27 PM

I added it with Add/remove and it worked alright, but I couldn't even hear the PC reboot. I tried several suggestions about fixing the audio and they didn't work.

After uninstalling flash, I still had no sound.

Mad, I re-installed Ubuntu!

Stick with the old terminal way IF you can find step by step instructions to help you install it?

9. Phil (guest)

# Posted on 09 October 2008 at 03:29 PM

Update:

OK, I found on this site other comments that instruct the user to go to Applications, then Add/Remove wait until the pop out window stops loading. At the top make sure it says All Available Applications, then in the search box type Restricted and click search if it doesn't do this automatically.

It will give you both the restricted for Ubuntu and for Kubuntu, choose the one you need.

The download may take a while, but it will finish. When it does, Java, Flash and MS Fonts are installed and maybe some other things I haven't found yet.

I checked Youtube and it played and I could hear it finally. I wish I would have found this a long time ago.

Phil

10. Daniel (guest)

# Posted on 20 November 2009 at 09:35 PM

Thanks, It works fine for me and with this option Adobe was able to detect the version of Ubuntu that I was using.

Dan

11. Jimmy (guest)

# Posted on 30 June 2010 at 09:47 PM

Ummm... mine still doesnt want to work.. when i follow the instructions it seems to work ok but then right before it finishes it tells me that it Cannot find "adobeflash-installer". Well, now what?

12. Spike (guest)

# Posted on 26 September 2010 at 09:31 AM

PLZ!!!! someone help me i have ubuntu hardy and no post i have found has helped me. All i want is to watch movies and youtube. PLZ someone help me.

Home » Articles » Installing Flash Player in Ubuntu Hardy Heron