GNOME Gets XDS

Some might scream with joy. Some might say "Well, finally." Some don't even know what it is.

XDS is a drag-and-drop framework. It is (should) be used in any application that can let the user drag an object or file out of one window and into another.

Nautilus had its own way of D&D that only let you drag between Nautilus windows. File-roller, the GNOME archive application, had yet another way. It was impossible to drag a single file from an archive into a Nautilus window.

xds.png

At the very last moment (as in three days before the release of GNOME 2.20), XDS support was thrown in by demand.

Now it is finally possible to drag a file straight from an archiver or other application to Nautilus. Yippee!

Avatar for jacob Jacob Peddicord - http://jacob.peddicord.net/

Jacob is a web developer, student, and programmer from Ohio. He is a staff member at the Ubuntu Forums and is most likely a fanboy of the distribution. He loves to write in code and words, play video games, and rant about topics most would have abandoned long ago. Jacob uses GNOME and is never seen running stable software, much to the demise of his laptop.

Discussion: GNOME Gets XDS

1. isecore (guest)

# Posted on 21 September 2007 at 06:12 AM

Yay! I've been missing this. I've always been annoyed as to how inconsistent the handling of D&D has been in Linux/GNOME. So it's a good thing this is included - especially since it's so crude to have to do everything the old-fashioned way (shoveling through menus, finding some folder, etc) when you should just D&D stuff where you want it.

2. anonymous coward (guest)

# Posted on 21 September 2007 at 08:32 AM

And why did this take so long? KDE has had it since version 2, after GTK implemented it, but Gnome didn't??? Just another example of why Gnome isn't ready for most desktop users. That and it looks ugly.

3. jearsh (guest)

# Posted on 21 September 2007 at 08:45 AM

good news. props to demand.

4. anonymous coward II (guest)

# Posted on 22 September 2007 at 04:02 AM

nice. its one of the features i loved most about osx... true drag and drop. and to the first anon coward... kde is the ugly duckling, nothing matches everything has crazy ugly icons. Gnome is the most consistent of the bunch and rock solid.

5. Heliologue (guest)

# Posted on 22 September 2007 at 05:29 AM

If KDE has it, then arK certainly does it. I've never been able to drag files out of arK to anywhere.

I'm ecstatic that GNOME finally has this feature. I've been waiting for over a year now.

6. Leon (guest)

# Posted on 22 September 2007 at 06:36 AM

Screw you all, Windows is where it's at!

j/k - Great news for us Ubuntu users!!

7. Marcus Piffer (guest)

# Posted on 22 September 2007 at 08:06 AM

Nice new feature!

8. macewan (guest)

# Posted on 22 September 2007 at 08:21 AM

This is especially welcomed for my work computer where I would use this feature the most. Nice work.

9. Lloyd Budd (guest)

# Posted on 22 September 2007 at 10:02 AM

This is fantastic! I'm looking forward to GNOME 2.20!

Thanks for using WordPress in your example ;-)

10. Simon (guest)

# Posted on 22 September 2007 at 12:13 PM

Gnome still need to reach Windows 98

11. # Posted on 24 September 2007 at 03:15 AM

[...] useful improvement (not mentioned in the release notes) is the drag-and-drop functionality between File-roller and Nautilus. I think this kind of features are very important to get Gnome [...]

12. # Posted on 30 September 2007 at 11:54 PM

[...] read more | digg story [...]

13. Stuart Bertram (guest)

# Posted on 22 October 2007 at 08:00 AM

Finally! It was something I noticed that Fedora 7 didn't have but Fedora Core 6 does.

I use FC6 at work and can drag and drop in and out of File Roller from Nautilus. I use F7 and home and I can go one way but not the other (can't remember which - think it is extract that doesn't work). The difference is FC6 runs Gnome and File Roller 2.16 where as F7 runs Gnome and File Roller 2.18. At home I've just downgraded to File Roller 2.16 as I hadn't noticed any features in the list that I needed from 2.18 compared to easy DnD (until today when I realised File Roller pre-2.18 ignores empty folders!)

What really happened is that File Roller implemented XDS before Nautilus did, so in 2.16 they were both using another method that worked fine between them. In 2.18 Nautilus was still using an old method while File Roller used XDS. Finally, at the last minute, Nautilus has updated to XDS in 2.20.

It's only been one revision that hasn't had the functionality (unless Fedora Core 6 included some patch that wasn't upstream and I got completely the wrong impression from the bug reports) so it's great to see how people are whining about Gnome being useless for not having done this kind of thing before!

Home » Articles » GNOME Gets XDS