How To: Compiz Fusion on Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn)

I discourage the use of Trevino's repository.

Please see this updated guide

Discussion: How To: Compiz Fusion on Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn)

1. dave (guest)

# Posted on 11 July 2007 at 06:00 PM

Great howto. It worked for me. I've been using Beryl for a while but Compiz Fusion in great.

Submitted to fsdaily.com - a digg style news site for free software news and articles.

2. Colin (guest)

# Posted on 11 July 2007 at 08:10 PM

So you just stole this from the ubuntu forums?

3. Steve (guest)

# Posted on 11 July 2007 at 08:17 PM

<p>Nope, I wrote the one on ubuntuforums :)</p>

4. don (guest)

# Posted on 11 July 2007 at 09:16 PM

libcompizconfig-backend-kconfig doesn't exist in your amd64 repoository

# Posted on 11 July 2007 at 10:18 PM

Lol Colin got pwned XD

6. Treviño (guest)

# Posted on 12 July 2007 at 05:22 AM

Many thanks of linking, however you pointed to my repository List that is really more complete (and unstable :P) than the <a href="http://3v1n0.tuxfamily.org/blog/informatica/linux/compiz-fusion-git-ubuntu-repository/" rel="nofollow">compiz fusion repository</a> :P.

While this is te <a href="http://3v1n0.tuxfamily.org/dists/feisty/eyecandy" rel="nofollow">real repository page</a>.

I hope you could fix the link, just to avoid confusion!

7. Gdog (guest)

# Posted on 12 July 2007 at 09:45 AM

you shouldn't sudo gedit, either sudo vi or gksudo gedit

8. jamie (guest)

# Posted on 12 July 2007 at 12:42 PM

Ok, well, I followed these instructions for my working ubuntu 64 install and I am having some issues.

Everything installed properly, but when I load up the Compiz preferences screen and try to select any check box it hangs my system and I have to do a hard reboot. The windows wobble and whatnot, but when I try to select any check box it hangs.

My system works fine otherwise, desktop effects/beryl worked fine too. Any ideas?

9. # Posted on 12 July 2007 at 08:56 PM

<strong>Cómo instalar a Compiz Fusion en Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn...</strong>

Si tienes la última versión de Ubuntu (7.04 o "Feisty Fawn"), y ya tienes habilitado los "Efectos de Escritorio", pero eres un "power user" y estás listo para ir al próximo nivel e instalar a Compiz Fusion antes que este salga en la próxima ...

10. # Posted on 13 July 2007 at 10:55 PM

[...] FOSSwire » How To: Compiz Fusion on Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) (tags: ubuntu linux compiz howto) 归类于: 未分类 &#8212; colin @ 1:22 pm [...]

11. Bundy (guest)

# Posted on 16 July 2007 at 04:42 AM

I tried this and settings manager appears under my system&gt;administration menu but when I type 'compiz –replace -c emerald &amp;' nothing happens. No error, nothing. Same with 'compiz –replace -c emerald &amp;'

Any suggestions?

12. Adam (guest)

# Posted on 18 July 2007 at 05:56 AM

i get gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.

i think im entering it in right gpg –keyserver subkeys.pgp.net –recv-keys 81836EBFgpg –export –armor 81836EBF | sudo apt-key add -

13. draeath (guest)

# Posted on 18 July 2007 at 06:57 PM

The gpg command is wrong.

The correct lines that should be used:

gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 81836EBF gpg --export --armor 81836EBF | sudo apt-key add - gpg --delete-key 81836EBF

This will put the key on your keyring, export it and add to apt-key, and then remove it from your keyring (with prompting) so that it doesn't unnecessarily clutter your keyring.

Note the replacement of '--' for '–'

14. draeath (guest)

# Posted on 18 July 2007 at 06:58 PM

OK, your blog backend here is lame. Replace '–' with two '-' keys.

15. jeremy (guest)

# Posted on 19 July 2007 at 09:49 AM

"compiz --replace -c emerald &amp;" only seems to work if I switch it around: "compiz -c emerald --replace &amp;" keep in mind that is "dash dash replace"

16. mok (guest)

# Posted on 21 July 2007 at 06:55 PM

hey.. just ran the entire thing went well untill i started getting and installing the compiz packages... heres the last part that sorta got me...

Unpacking replacement compiz-gnome ... dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/compiz-gnome_1%3a0.5.1+git20070719~3v1ubuntu0_i386.deb (--unpack): trying to overwrite /usr/lib/compiz/libgconf.so', which is also in package compiz-plugins Unpacking compiz-fusion-plugins-unofficial (from .../compiz-fusion-plugins-unofficial_0.0.1+git20070717~3v1ubuntu0_i386.deb) ... dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/compiz-fusion-plugins-unofficial_0.0.1+git20070717~3v1ubuntu0_i386.deb (--unpack): trying to overwrite/usr/lib/compiz/libkeybinding.so', which is also in package compiz-plugins dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe) Errors were encountered while processing: /var/cache/apt/archives/compiz-gnome_1%3a0.5.1+git20070719~3v1ubuntu0_i386.deb /var/cache/apt/archives/compiz-fusion-plugins-unofficial_0.0.1+git20070717~3v1ubuntu0_i386.deb E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

anyways.. thing is.. if i go to the next step and run it...i have no decorations.. and two if i try to open the settings manager i get nothing.. note i am tryin this on a fresh install of 7.04 ubuntu. thanks in advance for the help

17. Steve (guest)

# Posted on 21 July 2007 at 07:03 PM

@mok

hmm, you could try my repositories then http://vorian.org/?p=82

18. Isaac (guest)

# Posted on 05 August 2007 at 12:08 AM

Just a question. What key is super?

# Posted on 05 August 2007 at 01:26 PM

The Super key is usually the key with the Windows logo on it on PC keyboards.

20. Steve (guest)

# Posted on 05 August 2007 at 11:30 PM

subkeys.pgp.net appears to be down. Is there a way around the key shit?

21. Arun (guest)

# Posted on 09 August 2007 at 11:29 AM

I installed Compiz Fusion successfully on my Kubuntu 7.04 installation. Thing is, I can't view videos properly when I'm using either Compiz or Beryl. I can view videos in their 'default' size, but if I try to resize the window, or view it in full screen mode, the app crashes (irrespective of which multimedia app I use). Any ideas?

22. Isaac (guest)

# Posted on 12 August 2007 at 02:20 PM

@peter, so its the key that if you press it opens start on windows. But since your using alinux there is no start so its the super key.

23. # Posted on 19 August 2007 at 02:55 AM

[...] Kaynak [...]

24. dakuran (guest)

# Posted on 20 August 2007 at 10:34 PM

everything went fine till i got 2 the two commands (compiz --replace) &amp; (compiz --replace -c emerald &amp;) for some reason its just gives me the "cannot run command" msg..

I also tried what Jeremy wrote:

only seems to work if I switch it around: “compiz -c emerald –replace &amp;” keep in mind that is “dash dash replace

Any Advice is greatly appreciated~

I'm currently running kubuntu 7.04 (feisty) (nvidia) 915resolution 1280x800

25. Leo Fesico (guest)

# Posted on 30 August 2007 at 06:47 PM

How to fix "apt error" on installing a software using automatix

26. # Posted on 23 October 2007 at 10:06 AM

[...] read more | digg story [...]

27. tymnThony (guest)

# Posted on 16 April 2009 at 11:45 AM

emm... good one )

28. borsboilt (guest)

# Posted on 24 April 2009 at 02:40 PM

hm.. luv it ))

29. borsboilt (guest)

# Posted on 25 April 2009 at 04:07 PM

mm.. funny )

Home » Articles » How To: Compiz Fusion on Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn)