Installing Pidgin under Ubuntu Feisty

Everyone's favourite open source instant messenger application for Windows and Linux, GAIM, recently changed its name to Pidgin, and pushed out a new release - Pidgin 2.0.

However, Pidgin isn't in the Ubuntu Feisty Fawn repositories yet, meaning the new release won't yet come through the software update system and won't be available from Add/Remove Software.

Ubuntu Geek has a post detailing how to get it installed. He uses a terminal-based install, but it's also really easy to install it graphically and it really isn't difficult at all. Here's how to do it:

First of all, go to Applications > Add/Remove, search for gaim and untick it to remove it (more detailed instructions on using the package manager). I had problems with the install without performing this step.

Next, download the package here and choose to open it with GDebi Package Installer (this should be set by default).

Once the download completes, simply click Install Package and provide your password. It will install and then you can now launch it from the Applications > Internet.

Discussion: Installing Pidgin under Ubuntu Feisty

1. Jacob (guest)

# Posted on 08 May 2007 at 12:08 PM

Quick note - Pidgin will (from what I have found so far) be in the Feisty repositories within a week or so. Since this is a minor (beta to final) release, it will be within the boundaries of the release guidelines and should make it in.

The only reason it is taking that long is because the .deb's have to be packaged and tested over for different configrations and architectures.

2. Huw (guest)

# Posted on 12 May 2007 at 06:22 AM

I had issues with uninstalling Gaim (I'm now dual-booting using Wubi btw).

The Application Manager wouldn't let me remove it because of dependencies, and the synaptic manager would only remove it if I also removed ubuntu-desktop, among other packages, which didn't seem to be a good idea!

I've been using Pigdin on Windows, and like it.

3. Darth Chaos (guest)

# Posted on 13 May 2007 at 07:26 PM

Uninstalling Gaim in Ubuntu is practically impossible, as it wants to remove ubuntu-desktop, effectively breaking your Ubuntu system. I really wish Gaim and Firefox weren't tied into the Ubuntu system. I'd rather have a choice in what web browser or chat client to install/use and not be forced to have a certain browser or chat client (no better than Internet Explorer being tied into Windows).

4. Nelson Martins (guest)

# Posted on 14 May 2007 at 04:37 PM

Ubuntu-desktop is not an essential package; it's only a metapackage containing information for all the packages that are in a base installation of ubuntu. You can uninstall it safely.

5. mgthantzin (guest)

# Posted on 15 May 2007 at 09:00 PM

thx to Huw as you mentioned exactly the same problem i'm facing now.

thx to Jacob for your information about 'Pidgin in Repositories'.

thx to Nelson Martins as i get to know that ubuntu-desktop is safe to remove.

after all, thx to peter for this post. =)

thx all!

6. mgthantzin (guest)

# Posted on 15 May 2007 at 09:34 PM

7. jive (guest)

# Posted on 17 May 2007 at 09:35 AM

Same thing here.... how do we fix this?

8. Brandon (guest)

# Posted on 21 May 2007 at 06:56 PM

> Oops.. I uninstalled GAIM. and, double-click the Pidgin Installation file but it never appears under Application>Internet. Where can I get that link?

Right click the menu, click 'Edit Menus', Applications > Internet > New Item.. Name: Pidgin Internet Messenger Command: pidgin Comment: Send instant messages over multiple protocols

9. raz (guest)

# Posted on 23 May 2007 at 11:47 AM

i see some boxes when my friend (uses window) IM by using some fonts such as arial, times new roman from his msn. If he change the font to "sans" then only i get message. Does any one have idea how to get over with this.

THings are normal when he use other forms while IMing using yahoo. The problem is only betwn his msn and my pidgin.

10. Dimitri (guest)

# Posted on 24 May 2007 at 06:49 PM

Raz, you have to install the "Microsoft Core Fonts" (search for it in "Add/Remove Applications" (or look for msttcorefonts).

11. Pranjal (guest)

# Posted on 27 May 2007 at 11:39 PM

Thank you all!!! Pidgin was really necessary as GAIM used to crash a lot... Just want to know, how can i reinstall the ubuntu-desktop package???

12. Pranjal Daterao (guest)

# Posted on 27 May 2007 at 11:39 PM

Thank you all!!! Pidgin was really necessary as GAIM used to crash a lot… Just want to know, how can i reinstall the ubuntu-desktop package???

13. Pranjal Daterao (guest)

# Posted on 27 May 2007 at 11:41 PM

Also one more thing... What is the procedure for adding a GMAIL account in pidgin???

14. marilyn (guest)

# Posted on 07 June 2007 at 01:35 PM

Pranjal, these are the settings that work for my gmail/gtalk account in Pidgin:

the "Basic" screen needs these three at least: Protocol: XMPP Screen name: your.username Domain: gmail.com

under "Advanced": Connect port: 5222 Connect server: talk.google.com

I have all the checkboxes left blank personally.

15. Pranjal Daterao (guest)

# Posted on 18 August 2007 at 03:40 AM

Thanks a lot Marilyn... I also tried to connect to GTalk on Jabber protocol... It worked!!! Take care...

16. harshil (guest)

# Posted on 03 September 2007 at 06:15 PM

marylin , i cant connect to gtalk using pidgon . I cant set the Protocol and Domain name as there is no option for that ... Help !!

17. Langley (guest)

# Posted on 05 September 2007 at 06:08 AM

Although the article suggests that pigdin will be in the ubuntu repositorys "RSN" (real soon now), it doesn't seem that synaptic sees it yet (Sept 5, '07). As I'm still a bit of newbie... did I miss something or is it still not in the ubuntu repositories?

18. Babu (guest)

# Posted on 08 September 2007 at 12:49 AM

I can't find a XMPP protocal in the add accounts to configure it to google talk.

19. pyr3sayz (guest)

# Posted on 11 September 2007 at 11:32 AM

Langley, I haven't checked the repositories yet, but maybe you need to enable the universe repositories. (I suggest this as you say you are a newbie).

20. Aurora (guest)

# Posted on 26 September 2007 at 07:27 PM

Oh man this version doesn't have myspace im on it!

Home » Articles » Installing Pidgin under Ubuntu Feisty