PulseAudio Bluez

Some time ago, I’ve shown different methods of using scripts and configuration files to get Bluetooth A2DP audio working properly. But that’s a problem: it requires setup. Ideally this should all happen automatically right when the headphones are paired.

In the latest releases of PulseAudio and Bluez, I found this to be the case. It works so well that I figured I’d make a screencast out of it just to show you. The application used in the video is pavucontrol, the volume controls for PulseAudio.

(And a sidenote: this video was edited using PiTiVi, which just made a new release. I highly recommend you check it out.)

JavaScript and Flash must be enabled to view video content.

Avatar for jacob Jacob Peddicord - http://jacob.peddicord.net/

Jacob is a web developer, student, and programmer from Ohio. He is a staff member at the Ubuntu Forums and is most likely a fanboy of the distribution. He loves to write in code and words, play video games, and rant about topics most would have abandoned long ago. Jacob uses GNOME and is never seen running stable software, much to the demise of his laptop.

Discussion: PulseAudio Bluez

1. # Posted on 03 June 2009 at 12:49 AM

Yeah, the volume meter under Banshee is stuck. Don't know why that does that, but the sound was working fine. :)

2. Ding (guest)

# Posted on 03 June 2009 at 01:11 PM

So does anyone know of a PPA so I can get this into my Jaunty-install? Would be sweet :)

3. # Posted on 03 June 2009 at 02:35 PM

Ding said:

Be very careful with these. I don't recommend adding them, but pick and choose packages to download.

As for Bluez, search launchpad for bluez 4.40 ppa. I haven't found a consistently reliable source for those packages other than the Karmic archives.

4. Max (guest)

# Posted on 04 June 2009 at 04:59 AM

Hi Jacob,

Thanks for sharing. Can you elaborate on how to get this working w/ Ubuntu 9.04?

5. # Posted on 04 June 2009 at 01:56 PM

Max said:

Hi Jacob,

It's a little difficult, and might cause problems with other software, but see the above comments for information on PPAs.

6. IcoNyx (guest)

# Posted on 13 June 2009 at 09:21 PM

so what packages/versions do I need to implement this? I note bluez 4.40... but you never mention which version of pulse I need...

7. yuki (guest)

# Posted on 13 June 2009 at 10:47 PM

i have newest kernel, all updates from https://edge.launchpad.net/~themuso/+archive/ppa

and package of bluez

and nothing... help please. using ubuntu 9.04

8. Pat McDonough (guest)

# Posted on 03 July 2009 at 08:04 PM

Thanks for the article.

This is great work that I've been waiting to see for a while. A great next step would be some kind of gnome-panel applet that provides more convenient audio switching.

Home » Articles » PulseAudio Bluez