Gambas - Almost Visual Basic for Linux

Gambas icon

Gambas is a development environment and platform for Linux and Unix systems. It uses a custom programming language, similar to (but not the same as and not compatible with) Microsoft's Visual Basic.

Gambas allows you to put together Qt and GTK+ interfaces with drag and drop ease and connect them to code, in a very similar way to Visual Basic on the Windows platform.

While something similar to VB as a language and platform will probably be unpopular with many Linux and open source enthusiasts, using the Gambas environment is one of the easiest ways to rapidly develop a graphical application for deployment on Linux/Unix systems.

Gambas IDE splash screen

The Gambas IDE bears a striking resemblance, again, to the Visual Basic IDE and brings together source editing, drag and drop GUI design and project compilation and debugging from a single interface.

One of the major attractions to this platform is its support for Rapid Application Development (RAD) and its visual approach to programming. Even if you have only a little programming experience, you can quickly put together a graphical program for almost any desktop environment.

Gambas IDE

Obviously, a development platform like Gambas isn't suitable for all projects. What I think this certainly has utility for is for very quickly building graphical applications to automate certain tasks, for example.

Gambas offers probably one of the quickest and simplest ways to build a graphical application for Linux. Anyone with a little Visual Basic experience will very quickly be able to pick it up and start developing simple applications.

Discussion: Gambas - Almost Visual Basic for Linux

1. John Wilson (guest)

# Posted on 08 September 2008 at 06:09 PM

Anything which makes development on the Unix / Linux platform easier is to be welcomed. Why do you think Windows was so successful?

2. Abdullah Khalid (guest)

# Posted on 08 September 2008 at 11:57 PM

great idea!

3. Bruno (guest)

# Posted on 08 September 2008 at 11:59 PM

I remember the good old times when we used to work with Visual Basic at school, I will definitely give it a try!

4. # Posted on 09 September 2008 at 12:57 PM

[...] I introduced you to Gambas, a development environment and platform for Linux and Unix with many similarities to [...]

5. OJ (guest)

# Posted on 10 October 2008 at 06:02 AM

I just installed SuSE11.0 and opened Gambas for the first time. I notice an example program called 'WebBrowser' which I opened and ran! I wanted to try and do one of these myself but when I started a new project and tried to install what I thought would be a WebControl component I could not find one! In the example it's called webTest with what looks to be a 'Konqueror' browser icon next to it. I am new to programing ('just learning') and would like to know how to incorporate a browser control, like the one in the example! I looked at the code of the form but didn't see how this was done! Any Help would be appreciated!

I found a PDF book online about using Gambas, but there was nothing in it concerning embedding a webBrowser. Is there a site anywhere which has tutorials for Gambas?

6. Pete (guest)

# Posted on 18 December 2008 at 06:29 AM

Hi OJ there is an Icon on the Tool Bar next to the Save As Icon which is called Project Properties. This brings up a tabbed dialogue box, select the Component Tab. The Web Browser component is on there.

Pete

7. frenchuser (guest)

# Posted on 03 April 2009 at 08:35 PM

if you want tutorial for gambas, go to my website : http://operation.andre.free.fr/gambas/ regards A gambas french user

8. frenchuser (guest)

# Posted on 15 May 2009 at 08:46 PM

visit my new website with a lot of gambas source code. http://gambaslinux.eg2.fr french and english language. Regards

9. foto62 (guest)

# Posted on 07 June 2009 at 01:42 PM

хочу написать интервью с автором блога, прошу написать мне в один изадресов на домашней страничке, уж слишком завлекательные фото получаются

10. farehecyncned (guest)

# Posted on 09 July 2009 at 12:38 AM

Great blog! Very interesting aspects. I will allways read it. May i post your backlink on my blog?

11. Jon Nicholson (guest)

# Posted on 19 July 2011 at 11:04 PM

Your readers may be interested to learn that a newly revised edition of A Beginner’s Guide to Gambas is being published in July, and it will probably be available in physical book form by the beginning of August. A free .pdf version of this new edition is available for download, under the Open Content License, from the blog that I put up recently to support the book — http://beginnersguidetogambas.com/ . There are additional downloads of materials to facilitate Gambas study from the book. You may already be aware of the first version of the book, which was published in 2005. There are many corrections and updates in the new version, and we’ve made sure that the material is compatible with both Gambas2 and Gambas3. Regards,

Home » Articles » Gambas - Almost Visual Basic for Linux